View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:17

Cees Steijger
Re: Tasks Command Pilot USAAF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSwank View Post
I think he is asking about the "command" pilot in a lead ship. Typically a lead ship of the mission, (or the group or of the squadron) would have the officer in charge of the formation (or group, etc) in the co-pilot (right hand) seat. Sometimes the regular co-pilot would move to the tail gun where he could keep the command pilot informed of the formation status via interphone. The pilot in the left seat flew the plane while the "command" pilot in the right seat directed the formation in the attack.

He is asking did this "command" pilot also do (some?) normal co-pilot duties.
Exactly! More specific: on 21 feb 1944 B-17GSH was deputy lead of 4A CW. 42-3511 was the lead with Lt. Col. G. McDonald, executive officer from 385BG on board. He was the mission commander. In 42-30280 Capt. Gerald Binks also from 385BG was the command pilot. Binks took - according to co-pilot 2nd Lt. John William Baber - the co-pilot position. Baber: 'So I was the extra-man, so to speak'.

I am wondering whether a command pilot would than automatically do all the co-pilot tasks/duties - while he is actually is a commander who would have other tasks to do, I would guess. Would a command pilot do the pre-flight check, starting of the engines, take-off stuff etc.? Or would the regular co-pilot do that and would the command pilot switch places after take off?

The Devil is in the detail. And right now I am checking these kind of detaisl for the book Crazy Horse , whcih will come pout end next month. see www.b17crazyhorse.nl - in Dutch though, but you'll get the drift.

--Cees