View Single Post
Old 9th August 2010, 20:55

aaatripp is on a distinguished road
Re: 9 Aug 44 - 3 COs in a day - 353FS/354FG/9AF

66 years ago...today...the 353 Fighter Squadron lost two COs in air opera-
tions over France.

That morning must have been special for these two tent mates. Don Beerbower of Hill City, MN became the new CO when Maj. Jack Bradley rotated back to the States for a rest. Don had just pinned on the gold oakleafs of a major and I'm sure the chatter at breakfast that morning was spirited with his tentmate and OPSO (Operations Officer). Capt. Wallace (Wally/Bud) N. Emmer, known as "the Wise Owl", was from St. Louis, MO.

Together Don & Bud had 29 1/2 confirmed e/a destroyed in the air. Don was a triple ace and a great leader in his P-51B FT-E "Bonnie B II" (named for his daughter). I've heard that Don preferred the B-model since it had 4 50cal machine guns vs. the 6 wing-mounted guns of the newer D-models. Don liked the higher speed of the lighter B-model. Bud's steed in the Pioneer Mustang Fighter Group (the 354FG was the 1st group to get the hot Mustangs with the Merlin engine) was the P-51D FT-G "Arson's Reward"
(so named after his malfunction-ridden "Peaceful Penguin" caught fire during servicing of the oxygen unit. PP was aptly named, after a flightless bird).

In earlier posts I've listed the details of their missions on 9 Aug 44. At this
time let's pause to remember these great guys, their leadership, their accomplishments & their sacrifices (and those of their families) as we simply say...."Thank you for your service!"

Also, let's honor another great guy....the squadron mate who took over
the 353FS that evening, Mike Rogers. Mike retired as an Air Force 4-star & lives in the Santa Barbara, CA area after a dedicated USAF career.

Tripp

NOTE: In the attached photos are the 4 flights of the 353FS at Tonopah,
NV during gunnery practice on July 29, 1943 (A & B flights in front, C & D in back). The "Wheel of Aces" was taken at Lashendon, England in early June
'44. At the time of this photo these 11 aces of the 354FG had accounted for 127 e/a destroyed in the air. Six of the pilots were from the 353FS (starting at 1 o'clock--Glenn Eagleston, Jack Bradley, Don Beerbower, Bud
Emmer, then Carl Frantz & Ed Hunt at 10-11 o'clock). Clayton Kelly Gross of the 355FS recalled having to stand on the sidelines and watch the photo session of the "wheel" as he only had 4 kills at that point (Kelly later got numbers 5 & 6 to become an ace in his GQ-I "Live Bait").

Last edited by aaatripp; 9th August 2010 at 21:26. Reason: consolidate photos/adjust quality