View Single Post
Old 21st November 2015, 21:11

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Just how would you defeat ISIS?

Dear Paul, Nick, and Brian,

Starting with you, Paul, your first link's discussion seems to have vindicated the Russian action. The second link says that Russia continues to modernize its air force, in contrast to the situation here in the U.S. The third link is written by 2 jackasses who don't know how to summarize their subject. It reminds me of some NASA reports. The fourth link is to a 9-year-old article.

Nick, air reconnaissance was an integral part of WW II intelligence gathering, but it was only a piece of the puzzle. I agree that by 1945 the USAAF and RAF had essentially accomplished their strategic tasks and further bombing was pretty much gratuitous. The fact that I wanted to include ground forces in the discussion is supported by your comment. We will have to bite the bullet and bring in some ground forces supported by a lot of forward and aerial targeting forces. I'd put strangling the supply of oil, fuel, and weapons inflow much higher on your list of uses for air power. But, you are right, you have to know where to hit. I'm not sure what ISIS manufactures, save possibly for suicide vests, which would be near impossible to target. How does one develop a workable government whose sole function is to control and destroy?

Brian, I think there is something to cooperation between Russia and the U.S. As for China, the world is so interdependent on trade with China and vice versa, that it would seem that much of what is going on from a military adversary point of view is bluster. China in no way would benefit by starting a war against the U.S. So, given that, there might be something to military cooperation against ISIS. Three senior Chinese business executives were killed in the Al Qaeda hotel attack in Mali on Nov. 20th, as well as 6 Russian employees of a cargo company.

Regards,
Richard