View Single Post
Old 13th January 2007, 18:39
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: Soviet Hurricanes - where, when, ...?

Franek;
I didn't realise that the Yugoslavs had Yak 3s. I had read something about the trials but had assumed it was the Yak 9 that was involved.

Apparently it wasn't a Malcolm hood tried on the Hurricane, my apologies for saying that, but a field conversion. According to the new Mushroom publication on the Hurricane, anyway. Although the author has not quite understood the Sea Hurricane, and has included some nonsense about a mine-exploding ring, so perhaps more careful reading of the rest of the book is called for - it looks pretty good otherwise.

Re the Dutch: I wouldn't be surprised if a Brewster 439 was at least competitive with a tropicalised Hurricane IIb, if not better at lower altitudes. It is not that the Buffalo was a terrible design, just not good enough.

I must admit being interested by these statements about Finnish overclaiming. I was told that the Finns were exceptionally strict about granting confirmation, and even perfectly normal and understandable overclaiming just did not happen. Ah well, it was a Finn that told me that. Perhaps they weren't superhuman after all.