View Single Post
Old 13th October 2010, 23:08

Richard Hargreaves is on a distinguished road
Re: Which books will help me?

Hello Neil and Graham,

Thanks for the suggestions; I read the Jähnert review only an hour or so ago and decided to scrub that off my list.

I can't help thinking publishers are simply producing "granddad's memoirs" simply because granddad's written them and there's a desire for wartime memoirs (German and UK publishers are equally guilty...).

Flechsig Verlag's output is rather hit and miss; apart from pushing out quite a bit of Kurowski (grrrr), the memoirs they're publishing varies tremendously. I enjoyed Otto Henning's (DAK/Pz Lehr Div) as a quite lively read (and a pretty simple translate...), but Willi Kubik's diary's pretty dull (although you do learn what he had to eat, and a what time, every day. And I mean every day...)

I'm sure I said over at Feldgrau, or maybe it was AHF, that as a rule I find aerial memoirs much more repetitive than those by Landsers (yes, I know that's sacrilege here no doubt!) or maybe I've just been reading the wrong ones...

Really impressed with the Lehrgeschwader 1 history - just how I like a unit history to be; packed with info and first person accounts (take note Podzun Pallas and all those dreary divisional histories; 13 Pz is particularly bad...)

Bit perturbed by the prices of all these histories and memoirs - they're even more expensive than Heer material.

Still I picked up Graf for under 4€ with postage, so not all bad.