View Single Post
Old 6th October 2010, 08:48

carlmu is on a distinguished road
Re: Crash-landing of Hptm Groth, Gr. Kdr. II./ZG 76 during the Battle of Britain

Larry!
I recently bought the English version of Nauroth/Held's book, and agree that the picture on page 115 does not prove that the pictured plane is M8+AC. Do you know of any proof that Groth actually (ever) belly landed or survived a shot-down?
You might have seen my interset on this forum concerning Groth and his palne(s).As far as I can see, he flew at least three Bf110. The 110c M8+AC and later a 110D M8+KC and the last one a 110E-1 M8+KC, with which he crashed and was killed together with Obfwb. Herbert Muche on 12. august 1941. They were on their way from Stavanger to Kirkenes via Trondheim when they (due to cold and bad weather, maybe icing) crashed in the mountains in Ål in Hallingdal. The crash site is 1500 m above sea level, snowcovered 7 months of the year, very remote, 15 km walk from the nearest road. Only grass grow there, no trees. Therfore, the remains of the plane are still there, not buried but open in the free. Now and then human bones pops up when the snow melts in June-July. I am fascinated by this sad incident and hope to put together the fragments to complete the story.
I was at the crash site two months ago and was overwhelmed by the result of the brutal forces that had torn the plane and its crew to pieces that unpleasant day in August almost 70 yeras ago. Destroyed engines, propellers, fuselage parts, ammunition, machine guns and one of the oleostruts are still there on the ground.
When it comes to Groth and Muche, I do not know very much. Some stuff from Militärarchiv in Freiburg is all. So, Larry, do you have information concerning Groth and/or Herbert Muche? They must have flown together for at least a year when they crashed, maybe from before BoB?
If you are interested in photos I have collected during the work on this history I would gladly send you some if you answer with your private e-mail.

Greetings from Oslo

Carl Müller
carl.muller@medisin.uio.no

PS: Your mailbox at 12 O'clock high is full