View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:20
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking info & photos of Lt-Oblt Gerhard Granz of 1 and Stab I./ZG2

Hello,

For profiling purposes, I'm seeking info on the victory list of Lt.-Oblt. Gerhard Granz, who is reported to have scored three victories during 1940, a single one during the WC/FC, and two more with the Gruppenstab as an Oblt during the Battle of Britain. I'm trying to confirm that total and the dates and locations for them.

A good photo exists of Granz sitting on the edge of the cockpit of his 1./ZG2 Bf110C, showing both the 1 Staffel and I Gr insignias on the a/c. Another, presumably from the same period, exists showing him in the cockpit of his Bf110 with the I Gr insignia below the cockpit. Unfortunately these photos do not give any information on the actual coding of this a/c, which should be 3M+_H. Does anyone know this information or have other photos of his aircraft during his career with 1 Staffel?

Another photo exists (made into a color profile in one of John Vasco's books) showing Granz and his BF, Fw Willi Schuble, beside the starboard side of 3M+BB, which would be the normal a/c for the Gr Adjutant. However, any possible victory scoreboard is not visible. Granz is believed to have achieved two more victories for a total of three by early in the Battle of Britain. As the Gruppen Adjustant, Granz and his gunner were shot down at Billericay, Essex, England, probably in this a/c, on 07.09.40. Both bailed out into captivity. The aircraft ended up a pile of junk (I have two photos of this).

1) I know it's a very long shot, but does anyone have photos of his a/c scoreboard at any time in his career with the Bf110?

2) Does anyone know if his or the FB of his BF, Schubel still exists?

3) Do any other photos of his 3M+BB exist that show a I Gr insignia painted on the side of that a/c. The photo reported above does not show one on the starboard side. I have no idea of the appearance of the port side of this a/c, and if any insignia was applied there. Note that John Vasco has kindly supplied the EoE Project all the photos that he has of Granz and his a/c.

Thanx for any help.