View Single Post
Old 10th September 2016, 21:06

R Leonard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: A6M2 data plate help

Well, your original question, before you edited out the original wording, asked if what you were showing was the data plate from the Koga Zero. I answered to the negative. You apparently accepted that, which was nice of you, especially since the actual "Koga Zero" data plate is in the National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institute. But, just to be clear, I saw no data plate from the Koga Zero. In fact, I see NO data plate from any Japanese A6M type aircraft.

An A6M data plate looks like this. In fact, the data plate from what's called the "Koga Zero" looks exactly like this one, as that is what it is, the "Koga Zero" data plate. Note line 3 where it is stamped "A6M2". Note line 5, the manufacturer's serial number, "4593". This is the number of the A6M2 recovered from the Aleutians, the "Koga Zero". This number appears in my father's pilot's flight log book six times, three in September 1944, the 14th, 18th, and 19th and three times in October 1944, the 21st, 24th, and the 25th. For each of these flights the aircraft type is noted a "Zeke-2".

The starboard folding wing tip, the manifold pressure gauge, and the airspeed indicator from A6M2 #4593 are in the Navy Museum at Washington Navy Yard. My father salvaged those parts from a pile of rubble after the plane was destroyed in a runway collision and donated same to the museum, much to my dismay, in the mid 1980's.

I've not idea as to what aircraft your artifacts are associated. Without that information they're not worth a whole lot, I hope you haven't spent a pile of money on what someone told you was from a Zero.

Last edited by R Leonard; 11th September 2016 at 00:40.