View Single Post
Old 20th September 2013, 12:03

Cpt_Farrel is on a distinguished road
Re: Late war Bf 109 pictures source

Looking at the first picture (and what a great picture it is!) I would have guessed a JG300 aircraft transferred to II./JG52 as they used such a small II gruppe bar.

Then I look at Schwarze 6 and see that it's got the yellow bar as well and I'm not so sure anymore. I've never seen II./JG52 aircraft with markings in two colors. Besides the "6" is too large for II./JG52. So, a mystery indeed.

Even if it could be proven which unit these aircraft belonged to, I would still be very careful with assuming colors for the tailband as it was the end of the war and transfers from disbanded units would have been common.

Also, remember the ex-JG300 aircraft with the small black horizontal bar, is there perhaps something we don't understand yet regarding these markings/units?

Regarding the III./JG6 aircraft at Twenthe, Green 1 was from 12./JG6, not stab. .

Franck: The theory on III./JG6 from Kees Mol is that they used two bands White/Red rather than the prescribed Red/White/Red. There's a couple of photos and some Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports that supports that

One last thing, Marc, the W.Nr for Black 6, where does it come from? The wing camoflage does not look like WNF to me.

/Anders