View Single Post
Old 31st October 2013, 13:52

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Need confirmation of photo claimed to be taken at airfield at Mühldorf

Dear RolandF,

Thank you for the confirmation regarding the location of this photo. I've looked through your second link and the closest I can come to anything suggesting Me 262 production in the area is the following:

"Im März und April 1945 musste das Strahler-Jagdgeschwader aufgrund der näherrückenden Front seine bisherigen Standorte aufgeben. Einer der neuen Standorte war Mettenheim, so dass dort kurz vor Kriegsende, auch das Strahlenflugzeug ,,Messerschmitt ME 262" stationiert war - jener Flugzeugtyp, der auch im Mühldorfer Hart hätte hergestellt werden sollen."

Would you please carefully translate this for me? I ran 2 machine translations but I'd like to get a completely nuanced translation. What I think it is trying to say about potential nearby Me 262 manufacture is given in future tense, not as an actual accomplished fact. Weingut I at Mühldorf was never completed or anything started therein and, even if it had been, Me 262 related manufacturing wasn't planned for this facility, but rather Weingut II.

Now, if I've missed whatever was supposed to be the source information for nearby Me 262 manufacturing activity, please clue me in.

Regards,
Richard