View Single Post
Old 6th February 2010, 21:41

mars
Re: WWII aces in Syrian Air Force

I got my information from Brian Cull who wrote a book about the air war in the Israel independence war, and I also read memoir of some western volunteers who served in the Israel air force, and if you believe me, nowhere I found them mentioned Mr Mato Dukovac, this is not a surprise (at least to me!), since Mr Mato Dukovac fought at the East Front in the WWII, those former USAAF and RAF pilots would hardly had any knowledge of him, and I could say in the year of 1947-1948, most of them would not even know Hartman and Garland.
In the Israel independence war, there was indeed a rumor there was former Luftwaffe aces joined Royal Egyptian Air Force which is far stronger than Syrian Air Force.
At the beginning of the Israel independence war, the Syrian Air Force received two squadrons of AT-6 Harvard trainer from French, and the aircraft of one of these squadrons were fitted with underwing bomb racks and machine guns, this is the reason I guess that it is the Harvard trainer in which Mr Mato Dukovac flew his combat sorties.
Though the Syrian Air Force only played a minor part in that air war comparing to REAF, they did managed to scored one kill which could be confirmed in the Israel record, though the victor is not Mr Mato Dukovac, so if you INDEED have some information about Mr Mato Dukovac's victory, I would be very appropriated if you could let me know, so that I could compare it with the Israel losses.
I am very sorry if I offend you when I said Mr Mato Dukovac was broke when he joined the Syrian Air Force, he was a refugee that time, and in order to earn money to settle in the North America, he had to fought another war. So I assume he must have not money, if I was wrong, and Mr Mato Dukovac indeed had reasonable saving or income, I am sorry, I was wrong. But to my defense, I never said Mr Mato Dukovac never flew combat mission for Syrian, what I said is "As far as I know, Mato Dukovac did not encount Isarelian aircraft in his brief time served in the Syria airforce,"
At last, Sir,I have no intention to impress you.