View Single Post
Old 9th January 2005, 16:31
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Wienhusen, not Wieshusen, Kersten not Kerber

Hi, guys.

If we are to clear this matter at all, we have to keep the fingers under control. Franz Wienhusen is the correct spelling, not Wieshusen. Erich Kersten is also the correct name of the pilot lost on November 9. afaikt.

As I haven't been able to go through the NVM's for I./JG 77 yet, I hadn't noticed the discrepancy with regards to Erich Kersten. However, by reviewing my database record, it is noted that he was listed under the losses for 'Osten', thus was lost in the northern part of the Lfl 5 operation area (operating against the SU), and not on the Norwegian West Coast. Thus we can safely assume that there is an error in the list by Marshall covering this incident.

I will contact Eric, as the only additional source for the loss of Kersten would be the NVM filed by the unit, and the information in his book definitely has the NVM lingo as recorded by I./JG 77 at the time. You will see that I have updated this loss with the info from Eric's book.

If Eric notes that Franz Wienhusen was the pilot of WNr 7755, I would assume this to be correct, but will ask him for the source for this info.

We still have a problem though.... The loss record for Fricke definitely list that the loss occured on November 9th.

I have reviewed the records again and I have a new conclusion regarding this:

The loss record in Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt has a typo, the date of the loss being wrong. It occured on November 29th, but was written in the report as November 9th.

If we look at the records filed by JGr Drontheim the error is quite obvious, as the unit reports losses consistingly 1-3 days after the loss occured at this time. In the Summarische Verlustemeldungen, the record we are talking about here was put in between 25.11.1941 and 02.12.1941.

In addition, the record reported by Captain Erling Vogstad on the grave record of Fricke show 29.11.1941.

Conclusion:

Correct all loss records on the loss of Lt. Fricke to show 29.11.1941, still we do not have evidence supporting that the aircraft was a Bf 109T as it is nothing in the reports beside the story by Ranwig that confirm that it is a Bf 109T.

As pilots tended to keep their numerals when switching aircraft, it is entirely possible that Bf 109E-7 WNr 3471 was the mount of Ranwig, coded 'Weisse 10', but that it is not the well documented and photographed T from Francis Marshall's book.

We have to get our hands on the NVM of Fricke now!

Regards,
Andreas