View Single Post
Old 14th November 2007, 13:15

ElgerAbbink is on a distinguished road
Heinkel 111 expert help needed

Hello,

I'm investigating a V-1 rocket carrying Heinkel of KG3/KG53 that crashed in September 1944 near my home town. The code letters reportedly were 5K+HS and its W.nr was reportedly 610571.

My question is this: could this airplane have existed, i.e. is this a valid W.nr for a Heinkel 111. My second question is the most important one. The type number that was officially designated for the V-1 carrying role was model H-22. However, many of the H-22s were converted H-6s, H-16s or H-21s that had previously served as bombers or transport planes. So my main question is this: can it be deducted from the W.nr whether 610571 was a purpose built H-22, or whether it was a converted H-6, H-16 H-21 or converted from a completely different type.

Many thanks in advance.

Elger

ps. the following things I know already: I know that it probably came from an airbase near Oldenburg where the unit had relocated to after a reorganisation, I also know the names of the crew, and I know where and when it crashed. Any other information anyone might have on this airplane would be greatly appreciated!