View Single Post
Old 15th November 2007, 12:09

ElgerAbbink is on a distinguished road
Re: Heinkel 111 expert help needed

Thanks for all the replies everyone, they're most helpful!

This picture shows a converted H-16 with the regular upper gun position carrying a V-1, so it's definitely possible that 160571 did not have a turret while serving with KG 3.

I'm building a scale model of this plane for my father, who is an avid amateur historian and he's found some bits and pieces (some scrap metal mainly and some bullets) at the crashsite.

It did crash on September 19, 1944 for unknown reasons. We've spoken to an eye witness about the crash. He was a little boy at the time. It was early in the morning and his mother was waking him up because he had to go to school. Suddenly she saw the airplane coming straight for their farm. He claims it was on fire. Fortunately for them, the airplane crashed about 100 metres away from their farm. Another farmer, who was milking his cows in that very field with his back turned to the scene, got the fright of his life!

It seems to me that it was possibly a failed crash landing; the airplane came in low from the direction of the IJsselmeer lake. We will probably never know what caused the plane to crash.