View Single Post
Old 17th August 2006, 13:38

pointedeflèche is on a distinguished road
Excavated Hurricane, Belgium

Back in 1982, several parts of a Hurricane Mk I ,among which its engine block, were dug up from a field in the Belgian village of Huldenberg. The Hurricane fell probably vertically out of the sky as the engine block was found several feet under the surface. Its pilot most likely crashed to his death as a parachute and human remains were found. Strangely enough only a few human bones were found.

Some identified it as a No. 1 or a No. 73 Squadron Hurricane - I haven’ t got a clue who identified it as such. Its pilot according to the British embassy would have been F/O Robert Lawrie Lorimer (KIA 14th May 1940).

I find this hard to believe as there are sources that indicate, F/O Lorimer was shot down by a Bf 110C of I/ZG26 and crashed south of Sedan (Huldenberg is situated 75 miles north of Sedan).

The unfortunate pilot most likely crashed to his death, May the 14th, 15th or 16th , 1940. Huldenberg was located close to the British Expeditionary Force line, which extended from Leuven (Louvain) to Wavre along the River Dyle. The 14th, 15th and 16th of May 1940 fierce battle broke out along that line. The British Expeditionary Force finally gave up their positions and retreated in the late evening of May 16th.

Does anyone have detailed information as to why it was identified as a No. 1 or a No. 73 Squadron Hurricane and who identified it as such? What about the identity of the pilot, was it actually Lorimer?

Regards,
Dirk