View Single Post
Old 19th November 2011, 23:48
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Flt Sgt Jammy Payne 501 Squadron 1940

Guys

I am still not happy with the "solution" about two individuals.

We have one A.D. Payne (no service number), 501 Sq in France
Aces High (Flight Sergeant), score
11.5.40 He 111 (Shores/Foreman, check)
12.5.40 He 111 (Shores/Foreman, check)
14.5.40 He 111 (Shores/Foreman, check)
15.5.40 Do 17 (Shores, check; Foreman, no)
5.6.40 Bf 110 (Shores/Foreman, check)
Vanish into thin air, Shores says not the same man as in BoB

Men of the Battle of Britain (First printing, have not the issue Bruce got)
We have Alec Dawson Payne(service number 745798), Flight Sergeant.
Claims Payne was with 501 Sq in France, etc, and says posted 610 Sq 23.9.40. Claims
2.2.41 Bf 109 (Shores, no; Foreman, check)
Vanish into thin air

a) If we imagine that the photo of the "old" Payne is misidentified, we have (from the second hand sources I use) no proof we are talking about two persons! That is the photos in Listemann's and Wynn's books are of no value.
b) The new details in Wynn's book (second updated issue?) listed by Bruce does not automatically free our Payne from any service with 501 Sq. All we read is about his moblisation in 1939 which to me makes it more likely he was a fully trained reserve pilot and as such should be issued to an operational squadron or at least an OTU for some time and I find the details supplied by Wynn rather confusing! A trainee who goes solo after 9 days in July 1939 is sent to 1 ITW when war breaks out and is spending over one year in training until posted to an operational squadron while his country is screaming for pilots? More likely he spent time with 1 ITW for a while before being posted...
c) All other posts after that only relates to post BoB service of Payne and has no relevance to identify if we have one or two individuals.

So the question, to me, still remains if we are dealing with one or two individuals here. If anyone can enlighten me to what happened to the four or five victory Payne with 501 Sq and thereby ensure he cannot be the Payne of 610/74 Sq, I would be much obliged. I would also be interested to know why the "second" Payne spent 14 months in training from July 1939 to September 1940 before being posted to an operational Squadron.

Cheers
Stig