View Single Post
Old 26th October 2016, 06:36
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough
Going to add -

Excuse me for being a bit preachy in the following: Norton products have always been among the best for net security, at least here in the US (I'm sure there are other equivalent products in Europe and the rest of the world). I worked in IT for almost 40 years, hardware manufacturing, programming, systems/user support & interfacing, but never in net security per se - of course it's only been in the last 20 years or so that the internet has been a 'thing' and we've been subjected to the associated threats. The problem is that the a-holes that do this kind of krap always seem to be a step ahead of the people patching the security holes (thx MS) in the OS/email software.

I know there are some pretty sharp IT types that are part of this board and I hope they might jump in with some recommendations or better info on how to protect ourselves on the net. Unfortunately, it seems, no one product can protect you completely.

As illustration, a few years ago I somehow got a hijack bug on my pc in spite of having, what I thought, was thorough protection software. Basically, this bug shut down all my drives and told me I had to purchase a specific product to recover my system. Fortunately I was aware enough to know to shut down my system, boot up on the OS recovery CD, and to then go and find a solution on Google. At the time the only product I could find that could fix that problem was an app called MBAM from Malwarebytes. Nothing from Norton, MacAfee or any of the other usual suspects. How many people got nailed by that bs?

And, btw, those types of attacks are still out there, though presumably most security software will detect this type of attack now. (Still amazes me when I talk to people and they still use nothing but the basics as supplied by MS.)

For me, I currently use the MS firewall, Norton 360 and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. So far, so good, but I may not have the current latest and greatest recommended protection, and would certainly appreciate any advice on how I might improve on that.