View Single Post
Old 29th July 2011, 13:46

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
305 sqn missions period 18.-22. April, 1945

Hello!

I think I asked this question in the old forum without an answer.

Has anyone easy access to 305 sqn ORB for 1945? I am interested of missions of this Polish unit late April, 1945. I would like to check veracity of some Estonian recollections.

Between 18th to 22th April, 1945 a German train marked with big Estonian flags travelled from Odense, Denmark to Berlin. These were Estonian troops taken to the East Front. After passing the Danish-German border the train was approached by Allied planes. This would be Flensburg area, Germany.

Unexpectedly, instead of aerial attack the planes made couple of flybys. Even rocking wings. The Estonian recollection is that after war Endel Susi, Estonian RAF pilot who flew in 305 sqn had said he recalled the attack. Apparently because he did not want to kill his countrymen.

What I would like to know as facts is:

- Did 305 sqn perform any missions on the Flensburg area late April 1945?
- Did Endel Susi fly missions during that period?

Even better if there is description of the events, but that would be too much to ask.

The Polish ORB site ( http://orb.polishaf.pl/ ) is of no help, April 1945 is not included. I have waited and checked for that for some years now.

This is one of those idle questions to which I would like to know the answer eventually, but there is no need to go on extremies to provide them.

Thanks for your interest,
Kari