View Single Post
Old 11th September 2006, 23:38

GrahamB is on a distinguished road
Re: RLM 64 and the Junkers Ju 52???

Nice photo! Pity about the anti-copying stamp across it.

I guess this one dates from the night-operating period and black certainly looks to have been applied on the cowl and nacelle, probably 'in the field' judging from its appearance. It also looks as if the upper surface painting is fairly rough and incomplete (near cabin door?). It looks as if the upper surfaces may have been one colour - there are hints of colour divisions but they may be lighting/photo artifacts and there are shadows above the officer type standing inboard of the right engine and on the left cowl/nacelle

I don't think it invalidates at all the other evidence that many g3e s were painted a dark green (?) overall (not black underneath) and in my previous posts I had agreed with evidence that some Ju 52's were black underneath. In fact, I think this photograph helps to corroborate the idea, linked to their role as night-bombers and provides a date (1937-early 1939?) for the pre-war addition of black (to an originally 61/62/63/65 or 63 painted aircraft). The subsequent adoption by all types of a daylight 70/71/65 scheme matches a switch in policy of the Luftwaffe and the withdrawl of the Ju 52 from offensive duties.

I wonder what unit the aircraft belong to? According to Ken Merrick in Luftwaffe Colors Vol2. the 0- series may have belonged to the Oberkommando der Luftwaffe.

Thanks for posting this.

Graham

Last edited by GrahamB; 12th September 2006 at 11:01. Reason: supplementary comments