View Single Post
Old 21st April 2018, 20:13

CookJunior is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Hello Brian,
I have recently joined as my Daughter was researching a naval uncle of mine who was killed before I was born and somehow came across this forum.
You have been seeking information about an incident that happened on 15th Feb 1944 involving Sgt R.V. Cook. I am his son and am in possession of his log book. The entry in it states that the type and number of aircraft is 800, that the pilot was W/O Dills, the duty was Ex3 and under remarks the following is noted. 'did not complete shot at by A.A. fire landed at Scunthorpe. At the top of the pages is written Beaufighters and Little Snoring.
The story that he told us was that they flew into a no fly zone, were shot at with the shell exploding very close resulting in the door being blown off (or opening, I cant remember) and that the pilot grabbed him to stop him falling out.
He received lacerations to his forehead which left him with a noticeable scar but he did not have to bale out.
The next date that he flew was April 5th but on 10th April he was again flying in aircraft number 8000, so I guess that it was not too badly damaged.
I hope that this information is helpful to you. Please let me know if you want any other information
Regards
Malcolm