View Single Post
Old 28th June 2005, 14:07
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Re: Jewish airmen in WWII

Thanks for the replies
It seems Adam was one of a number of Jewes that left Germany but was their part significant in the war effort? How many of them joined RAF. We are still talking about single names. There was Sid Seitz or Klibanski (sp?) but were there any more?
Concerning Goodman, it is a pure case of PC. He cannot be considered as an Israeli because the country did not exist yet. He had a Palestinian passport and the table counts citizenship rather than nationality (a lot of mess with Commonwealth I think). In the Polish Air Force we had two non-Polish nationals. Both were on Polish pay roll, both had Polish service nos and both had no relationships to Poland being Czechoslovaks. Should they be counted on Polish or Czechoslovak lists?
Finally, concerning Cohen. I expected something more subtle. Cohen is just a variation of a very popular Jewish name appearing eg. like Cohn (eg. Cohn-Bendit), Kon (eg. Feliks Kon - a member of Polish Soviet government in 1920), Kun (eg. Bela Kun), Kochan, etc. Pronuntiation is almost identical in all cases.
Of course, in case of changed names, there is no possibility to judge, but in Germany or Poland Jewes had different names rather than the rest of population, originating from places (Krakowitzer-Krakowski), trade (Fleischmann), flowers (Blum, Lilienthal), metals (Messing, Goldbaum), etc. I expected similar pattern in England.