View Single Post
Old 16th July 2017, 12:30

Cofian is on a distinguished road
bombing raid 23rd of March 1945

L.S.,

I am trying to piece a jigsaw together in order to be able completely explain the third major bombing raid on Doetinchem on the 23rd of March 1945. The first two (19th of March and 21st of March, both 1945) were already long time resolved in that these were a specific dive-bombing attack (the 19th) and an error bombing of the RAF (21st of March). The 23rd of March bombing raid, until I cracked it in 2015, was upto then only assumed to be another RAF mistake. This however was actually done by 1 US plane. There however must have been another, yet unknown, target (village or town) which received some 72 bombs which is the last unknown in this riddle. That target, most likely in Germany, must then have been bombed at around 17.08-17.10 by 3 possibly 4, US Marauders. (3 did actually drop bombs, the 4th plane belonged to the group).

The only way to find this is to piece it together by timings and by actual targets being hit, so by having reports of actual raids. This because the reporting is not correct, and what has been recorded as ‘target’ actually was at all not attacked.

Sofar I have been unable to determine this specific target. Does anyone reading this have any data on a possible village/town that was hit at around 17:10 on the 23rd of March 1945 in Nordrhein-Westfalen, most likely the parts (Regierungsbezirke) Munster or Dusseldorf?