View Single Post
Old 17th December 2014, 23:43
Alter Hase

Nokose will become famous soon enough
Re: Normandie Squadron 17Jul43 losses

I was looking at some more information on this air battle on the 17 Jul 1943. Major Jean Tulasne is thought to be buried in Moscow in a grave for an unknown French pilot. I ran across another piece of this story from the day it happen. According to the residents of Kamenka in the afternoon a low flying fighter was being chased by two German fighters which shot down the fighter. It skidded along the ground and fell into a gulley or large ditch. The pilot was ejected from the cockpit and was still alive briefly before dying after two German soldiers arrived. The next day the unknown French pilot (that was established on the 17th by the villagers) was buried at their cemetery. The body was later moved to Moscow after the war. It was believed that it was Tulasne and the family ask that it remain unknown. Could it be instead Lt. Firmin Vermeil who was also listed as MIA? I looked up the location of Kamenka which is at 53°25'23"N 35°35'8"E. On examining the German claims for the 17 Jul 1943 only one claim comes up in that area but its not for a fighter. Stab III/JG 52 Oblt. Rudolf Trepte shot down an Il-2 (5) 17:00 35 Ost/54612 at 100 meters. Considering the height, time of day and it was Trepte's 5th victory could he have been mistaken on the type?