View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2015, 15:33

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Very early VVS Hurricane loss (E-Bay photos)

Hi Kari and Mirek,

Firstly Happy New Year and all the best for 2015.

Three very nice photos of a Hawker Hurricane IIB. Cannot ascertain whether it was a standard or a 'Trop' version that 81 & 134Sqn of 151 Wing were equipped.

From the evidence it would indicate it is a Hurricane ENDING with ...40. Generally the serials were not painted out by the VVS but still used as a reference in their records.

As there as no Hurricanes of 151 Wing ending with ...40 then this connection can be ruled out.

I know that the Soviet Hurricanes were being regunned by this stage but not all. Z5252 was still equipped with its standard armament when it was lost on the 2nd June 1942.

I am assuming therefore this Hurricane was one delivered in one of the first PQ convoys at the end of 1941, early 1942. I would hazard a guess it was lost April/May 1942 and this would be something Rune could check to see if anything tallies up. (when he returns from his warm holiday).

I wonder if it is still there at the bottom on the lake when the ice thawed in June?

regards

Mark

PS It could be Z2640 or BD740 which seem to have been shipped to Russia late in 1941.

Last edited by markjsheppard; 3rd January 2015 at 18:16.