View Single Post
Old 26th July 2006, 19:17

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: The Defeat of Gladiators, 29 II 1940

Hi
on the mornig was fight with 3 I-16 of 68 OIAP not 49 IAP, one Soviet pilot (later HSU) claimed 2 victories (Gladiator + Bulldog) it was lejt. Miasicz - he returned to the base wtuh about 80 holes (most probably washit by Juutilainen), Soviet had made reccon flight to detect FAF airfield, which was succesfull reccon.

Finns had just returned from the morning patrol and were in landing approach, when Miasicz got Gladiator.

The next attack was done 12.00-12.15 acroding Finns time and 13.00-13.15 according Soviets
In the next battel there were no any G.50 only D.XXI and Gladiaors.

There were a combat the D.XXI + Galdiator v. 3 I-16 (Juutilained claimed 1 victory)
D.XXI was not shot down but rammed by Soviet pilot, he later returend to the base on damged plane.
Soviet lost only 2 I-16 (1 KIA -Jefimov of 1./68. IAP, 1 PoW-Volochov of 2./68 IAP) + 7 damaged.

Galdiators + D.XXi were on the take off not on the return flight. They got a little bit info about coming Soviet bombers, so they took off. Soviet had great/ incredible luck because they attacked at the time of getting airborn the
whole FAF unit.

Fiat G.50 was taken by exactly the crews of LLV 26 next day, handing over the survived 7 Gladiaotors to other units (LLv 12, LLV 14 (if right remeber.

Regards
mw