View Single Post
Old 21st October 2020, 14:46

harryurz is on a distinguished road
Re: Robert Spreckels

Quote:
I have never been able to find any loss for him, these usually explain long breaks in pilots claims due to wounds/injuries. But having scrutinizing many flugbücher what is clear is that they were nearly always busy, this might include a period of training, or as a trainer. Seems he is likely to have survived the war.
Braham met Spreckels after the war; in my 1961 version of "Scramble" (price 3/6!!) there is a pic of Mr and Mrs Braham with Mr and Mrs Spreckels- when Braham was posted to Europe by the RCAF.

Reviewing the book I've suddenly realised Spreckels also wrote the introduction to the 1961 edition.

He describes the fact that Braham was the 'third' Mosquito he had claimed.(?) He also mentions being in hospital "for a long time" after being shot down during Bodenplatte 1/1/45 (which brings into doubt any unconfirmed Soviet claims with JG11 Jan-Apr 1945?) and post 1945 returning to his pre-war job with a Hamburg shipping company. He mentions his parent's death in an Hamburg air raid too.

Braham mentions he first met Spreckels soon after capture and was introduced to his victor- a Leutnant and with 45 claims. There is also reference to Spreckels imminent move to the Normandy front as he asked Braham about the 'capability' of Spitfires.

Ironic that alot of what we know is from an Allied ace's biog.