View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2022, 13:56

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road
Re: List of DB 605A engine construction numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomislav Haramincic View Post
Hi Chris,
You did an amazing effort cross-referencing all this engine production data and sharing the results with all us here. Really a great job!

I have a few more Genshagen produced AS engines with the assembly number sufix that might help you,

00705160/106 installed on Bf109 G-6/AS WNr.163422
00704581/346 installed on Bf109 G-6/AS WNr.163795
00708525/1206 ASM
0070952x/1548 AS-0
00709538/1572 installed on Bf109 G-14/AS WNr.780887
00709767/1720 AS-0

Looking at the first two engines I mentioned, the second engine has a lower engine number than the first one and a higher assembly number. This could indicate that the first AS engines were "returns" from various units or repair facilities which were then upgraded to AS standard. Later assembly number are in line with the engine numbers, so it's possible that the later AS engines were taken already at the production line and finished as AS engines. I have too little data to make this a solid claim, but I think it's worth taking this thought into account.

Regarding the Fiat production - I found another engine
48771/891 installed on Bf109 G-8 WNr.200435

cheers,
Thank you Tomislav,

I had thought that I might not be able to make much of the 605AS production history but, it seems to be opening-up slowly!
Thank you so much for the latest details , I have very few details of AS production and only one engine with the extra production numbers after the 8-digit serial before your info. Strange how those production numbers are found. Now, my present theory is that these engines are all Genshagen new-build engines. The out-of numerical sequence of some engines with additional numbers is possibly due to an engine on production not reaching completion due to some shortcoming or problem such as damage (possibly from air-raids as well). The basic 8-digit 605 number would be generated right at the initial work on an engine but, I imagine the /???? AS production number was added as the basic 605A engine was completed as an AS. I can imagine the basic engines coming off the 605A line to have 605AS rear gearcase and the large supercharger fitted.
I don't see them building complete 605A engines and then modifying them to AS, nor do I imagine they built them on the same line with some of each. Also, I don't see them having a total 605AS build line. But I don't have confirmation, yet!
So, now that I have these extra numbers, I will build a chart of engines against production dates etc to see the patterns. There will be surprises but, it will be better than no idea, as we had before.
BTW, the BIOS production data that I have is only for "605" engines, no sub-variant id, no A/B/AS or D etc !. This makes it very difficult, but I hope to get better info in future!

Cheers

Chris

PS. I do realise that rebuilt engines would occur and that rebuild of 605A as 605AS would be possible. I just don't expect that would have happened as a plan until after summer '44. Again, maybe better info will come along!