View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:29
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 352nd FG question

This may help. From my good Friend, Sam Sox Jr. official photo collector and historian of the 352nd

On Christmas Day, 1944, Mitchell while flying in Preddy's flight, claimed a single 109 and was credited with the claim in USAF Historical Study 85. The reference of this action can be found on page 155 Bluenosed Bastards of Bodney. Mission Encounter Reports were not being filed while the Squadron was at Y-29 sorry to say. Possibly the artist did some research and came up with the German units that were in the area of that action and made an assumption as to what makings were being displayed. Do not recall who the artist was that painted that but I was able to give Troy White a good enough general interpretation from the only photo we have of the name application on Carol. Also, Mitchel is still with us and the painting may have been completed as a token of appreciation for his service with the 352nd FG.

(JRB) If I may add a comment, it is fairly certain that Preddy's claims that day were against JG 27. That might explain the artist's "interpretation" of late war schemes for Ks and G-10s