View Single Post
Old 26th December 2020, 22:37
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Photos Japanese Aircraft

Hi Stig,

Ok, in turn.

1. The book does not cover aircraft types in the Manner Baeza does.That is to say there is not an entry for each type such as the Ki-9 or Ki-79 for example.So definitely nothing on construction numbers.

2. To give an idea of the contents I'll provide section headings:

1)Introuction
2) Evolution of the Army Flying Schools. P20 - P.27

3) Evolution of the Civil Flying Schools. P.28 - P.36
4)Recruitment & Training P.37 - P.60
5) Training & Aircraft P.61 -P.71
6) The individual Army Flying Schools P.72 P.77
7) Colours & Markings -Profiles P.78 - P.188
8 Individual Civil Flying Schools P.189 - P.194
9) Colours and Markins/Profiles Civil Schools P.195 - P.233
10) Appendices covering; Location f Flying schools in Japan
; IJAAF organization and Rank
IJAAAF Aircraft Designations
P.234 - P.243

So as far as the earlier period goes yes there is a brief history in the 2 sections with evolution in the title and again a littlein the two succeeding sections. including a table for pre 1936 schools with the horizontal axis showing aircraft types and the vertical axis flying schools. It does not give any information other than a tick where school and aircraft type align,. This applies to tables for the wartime period too. It does not provide numbers of each type operated at each school.

My own main interest is actually not covered. For example I would like to know where and how many Mitsubishi Ki-1 were operated post Dec 1941. I am not per se interested in the period before then. The same would apply to other types Nakajima Type 91, kda-5 etc. Unfortunately this information seems hard to find anywhere, if it exists.

Well, this has been quite a long reply, but I felt it necessary as I would not like you to lay out good money if the book does not meet your needs. I've bought books myself in the past based on recomendations from people on aircraft forums and been left only with doubts about their judgement. I wish to avoid the same.

Regards,

Clint