View Single Post
Old 20th September 2010, 19:25
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Any dispute about interpreting the BofB?

Have you read Terraine's "The Right of the Line"?

IMHO an excellent analysis of the RAF during the war.

I'm enjoying the BBC's BoB season, but have shut off my "critical" filter to simply enjoy the myth

Regardless how you look at it, the Battle of Britain was an epic fight and the mythical part of it is just as important as the cold facts.

Yesterday watching Ewan and Colin McGregor was pure joy. With just enough drama added to include a perfect lump in the throat at the end. I have a soft spot for Ewan as an actor, his brother looks like a nice guy as well.

The docudrama adaption of Geoff Wellum's "First Light" is a nice example that such an approach to history can work (helas no points for History Channel, or the Cheap Reenactment Channel, which is what it should be called).

I think the success of The Battle of Britain is the success of the myth, which is as ingrained in the national ethos today, as it was back then. It was an epic victory, adding some extra drama and excitement just adds to the overal magnificence.

Do we really have to think about the fact that the RAF had a force multiplier with radar, defensive combat over friendly territory and the short legs of the Jagdwaffe?

That the margin was even smaller if we just count fighters, as the bombers were just flying targets when it comes to air combat?

Finally that an RAF defeat in the south, that is losing air parity, would still leave any hypothetical invasion force that had to face the might of the Royal Navy?

Britain was hardly the "small" isolated european country of the myth

It was one of the biggest empires the world has ever seen, albeit in decline. An empire with still the largest and arguably most powerful navy in the world.

The Kriegsmarine had shot its bolt with the Norwegian invasion. The surface forces would have been of little effect in a German invasion of the south coast of England.

The British people might have feared an invasion (and fear is a great way to mobilize the people in time of crisis), but how many really thought in terms of defeat?

Hind sight is 20-20 granted, but Britain's defense was formidable and the RAF was only the first hurdle, not even the most difficult one...

My thought are in no way to detract from the courage that was shown on a daily basis by all those young men from the RAF that risked their lives in an effort to defend their country. Far from it, like I wrote earlier, I didn't get a lump in my throat and moist eyes for being a cynic as I watched both shows.

In the end I love the myth and have only the highest regard for the few.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;