View Single Post
Old 10th August 2008, 14:59
Grozibou

Etampes, Villacoublay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
I suggest you to look further for French airmen at both Etampes and Villacoublay
- OK, I looked at this.

Etampes : on June 3, 1940 the following victories were won by the local flight based at Etampes; it was equipped mainly with MS 406s and also with 3 MB 151-152s :

Victories :

Benausse (French) 1 certain victory (plus one probable on June 5)

Balmer (FRench) 1 certain and 1 probable victories

Karubin (Polish) 1 certain vict.

Three to one for the "non-eager-to-fight" Frenchmen although there were very numerous Poles in the local flights (for lack of time to re-train them in time and post them to regular fighter squadrons).

Villacoublay : never mentioned.

Losses (Etampes only) :

French adjdt. Doucet ( senior "sous-officier", NCO) wounded in combat

Ptacek and Vopalecy (both Czech) wounded in combat too.

SOURCE : "AVIONS" hors série N° 7 : La Chasse française inconnue mai-juin 1940 (special issue on French local air defence flights).

Villacoublay is OT. Some regular, permanent Groupes de chasse were based there from time to time : GC I/4 (Curtiss) May 21-June 1; GC II/8 (Bloch 152) May 20-27; GC I/145 (purely Polish, CR 714 fighters) May 17-June 2.

Source : Paul Martin.

That's all. A few units visited Villa 1939 but this is completely off topic.

To sum up : Polish losses or victories (Etampes) on June 3 : none, zero, 0, nada, nitshevo, ingenting, niente, que dalle mon pote. I suspect the POLISH pilots were hiding in concrete shelters whereas French and Czech comrades were fighting and dying for them (13 pilots KIA on the same day). Where was big mouth Zumbach all the time? How come this great ace didn't score and wasn't wounded either? He was so keen and so eager to fight : why was he not KIA in this very big air battle, "Operation Paula" against the whole Paris area?

All French pilots at Etampes were NCOs with 3 adjts. or adjt-chefs, most of them junior ones (sergent). The Czech section comprised two (senior)lieutenants - superior in rank to any French pilot.

The Poles based at Etampes comprised Zumbach, who was an officer -sous-lt. - senior to all French pilots, and commandant (major/Sqn Ldr) Krasnodebski, an "officier supérieur" (from Commandant upward) who certainly would not have tolerated nor accepted any discrimination of Polish pilots by French NCOs! Discrimination was out of the question anyway for, as I already mentioned, Czech and Polish pilots were a VERY WELCOME and VERY USEFUL reinforcement of their French comrades who, at the end of the French Campaign, had suffered approx. 40 % losses in men killed (30 %), wounded or prisoners (a small minority) shot down behind the German lines.

As you can see all this vicious anti-French propaganda, libelling and insulting is devoid of any justification. Admittedly all French pilots (who were well-trained) possibly were not geniuses at the same time as angels and aces - they did their best and fought to the death. Obviously Polish pilots wrere MUCH, MUCH better - and so honest and objective including in their hundreds of victory claims won flying aircraft which were able to fly only thanks to repairs performed with tape and strings and with stones as ammunition. Engine fuel for the Poles was water (big improvement as compared to the hundreds of gallons of alcohol they used to drink) and they even had to ride French cows because the naughty French would not give them any aircraft, not even some made of paper and glue. At least cow-milk could be used as aviation fuel in French engines.