View Single Post
Old 5th October 2005, 01:15

Boris Ciglic is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe GQM loss list experiences

This is a question wich certainly bothers all of us who had a chance to go through these documents but couldnt find a match for which they were certain it exists. Leaving aside the lack of documents for the 1944 and part of 1945, I would like to know what do you think how complete are the lists which survived. On many ocassions I came upon cases of certain aircraft losses which could not be verified through GQM lists although there were casaulties and even W.Nr. provided in other documents. I understand that some losses from 1943, especially the second half of that year could have been reported by GQM in 1944 bu there are numerous cases in earlier years, to name but a few:

6.4.41. I have a photo of crash landed Do 17Z, this loss does not correspond with the lost Do 17Z of 8./KG 3 which was the only Do 17Z reported as lost over Yugoslavia on that date
4.7.41. Ju 88 4N+EH W.Nr.800 went missing in Yugoslavia, crew Lt.Adam, Ofw.Will, Ofw.Teupe and Uffz.Olterbach
18.7.41. Fi 156 crashed at Zemun airdrome and burst into flame, Gen. Ludwig von Schröder died of wounds 27.7.41.
29.8.41. Do 17E of GKFS.5 force landed in shallow water into the sea with landing gear up, next to the Greifswald airdrome
30.9.41. Fw 58 crash landed at auxiliary airfield near Cacak, Serbia, and was subsequently set afire by its crew

From my experience, I suppose that at least 5% and at times up to 10% of actual losses have not been included in GQM lists, and this I mean 60%-100% losses, not damaged aircraft which could be repaired in the field. I exclude any possibility of it being deliberately done at any level to hide own losses, but just think that this happened because of the size of the area over which Luftwaffe operated, bad communications, pure size of the paperwork received every day and human factor.

Opinion?