View Single Post
Old 12th January 2005, 10:06
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
One of my uncle was the witness of such a strafing situation where one, if biased, can say that "german planes" came to machine guns inocent civilians on the road. However during evening discussions, his recollections were that the road was occupied at the same time by units of the French army in retreat, most were infantry trying to get somewhere under orders and with officers, other groups of soldiers were straglers and lost, mixed in packages with civilians.
Do you have any date and/or place for the incident?

Quote:
Was it deliberate policy or cruelty...If one look at it from an operational point of view today, the attack of such an objective was justified under war conditions;
There were numerous attacks on civilians or farm animals. My late friend told me of an incident when a mother with children was straffed and killed in field, no possibility she could have been mistook for a military target. Similar action was seen by my Grandpa but I do not remember any more details. But this happenned in Poland and I am interested in the West.

Quote:
Although I have always made a point of telling that no Italian planes were involved in the fight in the north of France in May 1940, people will swear they could see italian colours on the low flying aircraft.
The question remains what they have actually seen and what caused them to believe those were French markings. It is just like Clostermann's yellow Fw 190.

Best wishes