View Single Post
Old 13th January 2005, 09:57
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Strafing

Seems to me that most of the hit-and-run attacks by German Jabos in 42-43 included some type of strafing of streets and so on.

As for France in 1940, the main problem is that the administration was often the first to leave an area (after an order or not), so the 'Exode' is a really confuse study subject.

My own opinion is that German planes targeted more the railway system or the frontline than the roads, and that French troops and refugees were safer on the road. The occasional attack by Bf110 can't be compared to what happened in 1944 in France.

So far I have few precise example (with date, place and circunstances) of a road strafing attack by German planes in France in 1940. On the other hand I have tens of bombing raids on ports, railroads and airfields, or Stuka raids on frontline units or artillery positions.

I will just add that I don't want at all to say Germany led a "clean war" in France in 1940. More than 1000 soldiers (mainly Black and Arab) and civilians were killed in war crimes by German ground units.