View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 22:18

INM@RLM will become famous soon enoughINM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Re: Published Accounts of the Fw 200 C-3 – A Critique on Water-Methanol Injection

Thank you, Jukka.

I shall let the engine experts resolve this one, only slipping in this quote for Ed from Alec Harvey-Bailey: The Merlin in Perspective: The Combat Years (Roll Royce Heritage Trust, Historical Series No.2) - Appendix IV The Merlin and 100 Octane Fuel on p87.
"This set the pattern and without 100 octane fuel the further power development of the Merlin would not have been possible. As an example, the two-stage blown Merlin 66 was capable of over 1 600 hp at 16,000 ft using 3,000 rpm and 18 lb boost. The pioneering work of Esso to produce a suitable 100 octane fuel was the key to high power Merlins in all spheres of operation and it was not until 1944 when 150 grade fuel became available that further advances in boost pressure to 25 lb were made, allowing over 2 000 hp to be used in squadron service."
He does use 150 grade rather than 150 octane but whilst I'm not able to put my finger on any example just now, in accounts by squadron pilots (Clostermann?) I recall the upgraded fuel being referred to as 130 octane or 150 octane, whilst I have no recollection of a PN number being mentioned. So whilst this is the wrong usage technically could this have been a common usage in squadrons at the time?