View Single Post
Old 29th May 2019, 11:08

INM@RLM will become famous soon enoughINM@RLM will become famous soon enough
Re: Fw 200 C-6/U2 - any other photographs of this aircraft ever published? (Or seen but as yet unpublished?)

One other point on the Speer fast transport Condor.

My recollection was that C.G. Sweeting: 'Hitler's Squadron' had no specific information on the C-6/U2. However, I dug through my boxes to recheck the reference and found that although Sweeting could not even identify this aircraft by any of the sub-type, W.Nr. or Stammkz. he did have this to say in his table on p.71 "Albert Speer. Received new Condor with extended range."
Fuel tankage of each of the C-3/U9, C-4/U1 and C-4/U2 transport conversions was reduced to just a single 1,100 litre tank in the fuselage plus the eight wing tanks. So even though the C-3/U9 was fitted with a full-length under-fuselage gondola no fuel tanks were installed in the vacant space that would have otherwise been used for the two bomb bays.

When the C-4 was introduced to production, the forward of these two gondola (Rumpfwanne) bays was fitted with a 540 litre fuel tank as standard. (See the Ladeplan for the C-4.) However, both the C-4/U1 and /U2 were only fitted with the short-design gondola so had no space for a Rumpfwanne tank. The C-4 gondola fuel arrangement was doubtless carried over into the Fw 200 C-5, which in turn formed the baseline for the C-6 conversion. (As yet no Ladeplan for either the C-5 or the C-6 seems to have been discovered.)

It would appear then that the case of the C-6/U2 was different to all earlier armed fast transport Fw 200s in that now one and possibly two of the 540 litre Rumpfwanne fuel tanks were fitted into the gondola bays on this example. (If it was a case of two Rumpfwanne fuel tanks being fitted in the C-6/U2 then this was the same gondola fuel installation that was subsequently standardized in the C-8 maritime recce conversion.) Perhaps someone else is able to throw rather more light on this other aspect of the C-6/U2? Günther Ott maybe?