View Single Post
Old 9th November 2020, 18:31
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: Photos Taube Tripoli 1911

Hi Clint

The book is I velivoli (La Storica dell'Aeronautica Militare)

With regard to Etrich, did he actually form a factory of his own?
Beside building the few initial gliders/protoypes, my feeling is the made a deal with Lohner and had them mass produce his aircraft and I also believe he let them develop the type (or perhaps they did so together).
Lohner built a lot of Tauben!

If you check the book Flugzeuge der Österreichischen firma Lohner 1909-1923 by Reinhard Keimel. In that one you find that the initial Italian order was for a serie A aircraft (KuK military designation IX) which had been ordered built by the MLG (five aircraft).
The Italian aircraft had Auftragsnummer AC.433 (order receipt 3 Feb 1911 and invoice date 28 March 1911). First flight was made by Karl Illner 26 April 1911

The military designation Etrich X was also a Serie A, but an aircraft which was delivered to Russia.

The book is a real must if you are interested in Lohner and is very, very detailed.

Yes, Etrich was quite rightly a rather unhappy man, and it seems he never got a DM out of Rumpler. He also lost out in court if I remember correctly making the German market totally open for anyone who wanted to use his design features.

Cheers
Stig

PS: The second Italian aircraft was it seems a Serie E and actually an Etrich X, with Auftragsnummer AC.851, order receipt 18 April 1912 and invoice date 11 June 1912. No delivery date has been found by Keimel