View Single Post
Old 7th May 2005, 10:30
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Re: Wish all German books were translated to English

Unfortunately not every book ends up in English (there are so many Japanese books I'd like to read for instance), but at least you have a good chance that Mombeek's will at one time be translated (Urbank's Greenheart book started out in german as well).

OTOH, You could turn this around.

If you are really interested in a German subject, widen your scope without the limiting factor of waiting for translations, you should make an effort to understand German. You are lucky that many german military subjects get translated at all.

Basically you are missing a lot.

Some of the best autobiographies to appear lately.

Rall's Mein Flugbuch and Meimberg's Feindberührung, both in their native language.

That's just one example.

Look at the many french books that never get translated.

Should we criticize the Avions/Jet MS.406 and MB 152 or the older Docavia D.520 (well there is an English summary in that one) because they were not translated?

My grasp of french is just about sufficient to understand about 75-95% of a sentence, but I try...

In fact (despite my PM warning) you have again tried to press your point, albeit it slightly more nuanced.

Don't you realize that you cannot criticize an author for something you'd wish to be available.

You are in fact stating a wish, that these books should be available in English, because you can't read German. You turn around the issue and make it into a problem.

If this is the easy mudslinging that CB refers to, he's actually right.

Next time, instead of using such a critical note Jukka, ask the author if there are any plans to translate the book in a language that is accessable to you as a person, that would be the correct way to present what is basically your problem.

You don't need to kiss arse, but a little more constructive thought and basic respect is really a requirement to keep this forum going.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;