View Single Post
Old 7th January 2010, 15:48
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: Which stories behind these photos?

I agree with John - Sgt William Kay was KIA with 65 Sqn and the second from last number could certainly be a 9.

Regarding Spitfire W3108 - this in fact did not exist as the batch started at W3109!!!! Also I could not actually see the serial number in the photo, so its hard to help on this one.

As for the Whitley I have not yet found a possible ID for it but I enjoyed looking! It is fun to make sweeping generalisations too - so here goes:

Firstly we need to find a Whitley that came down in the sea near to German held territory, where at least three of the crew were captured, as three crewmen are seen in the photo. This discounts many A/cs that were lost without trace with their crews. Also the photos captions roughly translated say jokingly 'boat required for England' and also 'Guernsey Prisoner' which obviously connects it to the Channel Islands. After all the photographer is hardly likely to put that on the photo if the plane came down near Holland or NW Germany. Ideally a bombing mission to Brest and other ports in Brittany would give a reason to be near Guernsey. However Bomber Command Losses does recount how one aircraft heading back to Leeming from Germany crashed out of fuel 22 miles SW of Pembroke, so nothing is impossible.

Looking at the photo of the Whitley I thought that it might be all black in colour, without the usual green and brown camo - and this scheme was used by 10 Sqn Whitleys for a time in 1941 and yet so far I cannot find any in Bomber Command Losses that fit the 'facts' from that Sqn or any of the others for 1940-1942. However some entries in BCL are similar to 'lost without trace but crew later confirmed as POW' so unless Bill Chorley received further info it will remain as such.

Next area for searching will be OTU losses which I think will give the answer!

Lastly could you post the link for the Bf 109F from eBay.de as it may relate to 17th July 1941 which I am interested in relating to Blenheim P4832

Last edited by Larry; 7th January 2010 at 23:00.