View Single Post
Old 15th March 2017, 22:41
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: shoot down ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
Hello,

Following witnesses, one can claim Me 262 a-2a (170013) was shot down by AAA when strafing an US convoy near Banneux (B) on the 10th September 1944 at the Liberation. Oblt. Werner GÄRTNER (3./KG(J) 51) crash-landed successfully but was shot without trial. He is still missing.

This crash was surely investigated by allied troops but any mention in reports.

Best regards

ClinA-78
There's mention in the Deutsche Volksbund war graves database either. Jan Horn's book »Das Flurschaden-Geschwader« has Gärtner down as wounded ("Verl.") but in Ultra there is the following:
On 17/10 GELIP (Luftgau) V, IA Op. 1, issued a circular reporting the following a/c as missing:
… Me 262, 9K+LL, Works No. 170013, pilot Obltn. GAERTNER, belonging to Detachment EDELWEISS, took off on 19/9 from RHEINE to operate in the LIEGE area.
That date could well be incorrect because Luftflotte 3 recorded one aircraft of Einsatzkdo. Schenck missing on the 10th whereas no jet losses are reported for the 19th.

P.S. KG 51 was not among the bomber units converted to a KG(J), it remained a plain KG until the end of the war.