View Single Post
Old 20th January 2022, 09:41
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Aircraft Tail Swaz - Identification Help!

Max,
This is what Larry de Zeng (and all) site (https://www.ww2.dk/lwairfields.html) about WW2 airfields do says about Hof:
Hof (GER) (50 19 00 N – 11 52 22 E)
General: field airstrip (Feldflugplatz) in Bavaria 115 km NNE of
Nürnberg, 47.5 km NNE of Bayreuth, 28 km SW of Plauen; airfield 3
km WNW of the town of Hof. History: 1927 listed as an emergency
landing ground (Notlandeplatz). 1928 list as a civil landing ground
(Verkehrslandeplatz). No records found of wartime use. Surface and
Dimensions: grass surface on clay soil measuring approx. 460 x 395
meters (500 x 430 yards) and irregular in shape. Infrastructure: had
a small hangar on the W boundary and an admin building on the S
boundary.
[Sources: AFHRA A5258 p.958 (1944); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA;
PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]

So we can see that it was NOT an operational base of the Luftwaffe...so units linked to this airfield can not be established.

One must try to find elsewhere (maybe via Nick Beale and the DEFE3 messages or ULTRA or via other War Diaries) if pilots "running away from Russian Captivity" landed there with Fi 156...

I remember the War Diary of Oberleutnant Norbert Hannig (Luftwaffe Ace), when he describe a similar flight on a Fi 156, getting away from Prague to somewhere near his hometown by early May 1945, when things got "hot" on the Czech city...

You can see from the runaway dimensions that only light aircraft would be able to land there...which confirms the CANVAS which we can see on the swastika...

Now to find the correct werknummer and codes and fate of this machine, probably will be a "hard nut to crack". I do not say it is impossible....but at this period of the war, the register of losses, etc...is much more difficult to find (from what I have read from experts here).

IT is nevertheless a nice piece of History.

A.