View Single Post
Old 1st July 2007, 11:10

tcolvin is on a distinguished road
Re: First Luftwaffe victory over RAF

Franek; I am not one ever to forget Poland.
But I am still looking for a source of information about the first action between the LW and the RAF. Surely this subject has been covered in detail by someone in a book or article.
10 Blenheims attacked the Schillig Roads off Wilhelmshaven on September 4. The Admiral Scheer's KTB says the alarm went off at 1752 hours as two bombs fell on the ship from what the sailors identified to be He-111. Scheer claims it shot down 3 Blenheims and also a Bf109, which presumably was flying a standing patrol from Jever and was the first LW casualty in the West. Is this true and does anyone know who the pilot and the unit was? 5 of the 10 attacking Blenheims were shot down, but not by the LW but by the Kriegsmarine and 2 Marineartillerieabteilung, later 2 Marineflakbrigade.
Meanwhile another 5 Blenheims and 12 Hampdens from 49 and 83 Squadrons at Scampton (two of which were piloted by Guy Gibson and Leonard Snaith) got lost over Heligoland and returned to base. The Hampden sorties are not mentioned in Middlebrook's Bomber Command War Diaries.
14 Wellingtons (6 from 9 Squadron at Honington and 8 from 149 Squadron at Mildenhall) were sent to Brunsbuettel to attack shipping in the entrance to the Kiel Canal. One bombed Esbjerg in Denmark. 2 were lost, one to Flak and one to Alfred Held operating out of Nordholz.
I wonder if anyone can throw light on how and where these two Wellingtons came down in what seems to have constituted the first LW victory over the RAF?