View Single Post
Old 10th May 2017, 11:29
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Re: Richard Eger has passed away

I was shocked when I got the news last night even though I knew that his health was quickly deteriorating. The last time we were in touch was just 6 days ago when he helped me to connect to a researcher he knew. I can hardly believe that he is no longer with us and that I won't be able to ever write him again.

I have known Richard since around 2002. Even though I have met him only once in person, we have exchanged hundreds of e-mails as we shared the same passion: the Me 262. About 10 years ago we planned to jointly write a book about the Me 262, but we soon realized that there is still so much to be uncovered that we focused on collecting additional material rather than writing. I promised him last winter that if I ever manage to complete the book after he is gone, it will bear his name as co-author since he has helped me so much.

I considered him a friend as we not only talked about the Me 262 but also about our private life. He was always very kind and helpful and shared material and information with me. I still can't believe that I won't hear from him anymore. Rest in peace my friend. I will truly miss you.