View Single Post
Old 16th December 2014, 10:17

Big John is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Trying to find out about Luftwaffe Pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hickey View Post
John,

According to the EoE LW Loss DB:

"30 September 1940: 3./JG27 Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 (3630). Shot down in combat with Hurricanes over East Grinstead and crashed into a pond on Cinderhill Farm, Horsted Keynes, near Haywards Heath, 9.45 a.m. FF Uffz Alfred Sander killed. Aircraft 100% write-off.
Site investigated by the London Air Museum and components recovered at time of crash donated by local landowner."

Hope this helps.

Dear Larry

Thank you for the information you have supplied.

Alfred Sander was buried in the local churchyard St Giles, Horsted Keynes; my father saw the Alfred being buried in the local church yard through the window of there makes shift school.

Some time in the 1960’s the body of the Alfred was exhumed and taken to the Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery at Staffordshire, U.K.

There is a part in my dads book which reads as follows;

“During any future Remembrance silences, I’m pretty sure that along with several other names that pass through my mind, Alfred Sander’s name will be included”.

Does anyone have any more information about Alfred, any records, photos, information?

I said in my first post that their were two German planes shot down around Horsted Keynes and Haywards Heath, does any one have any information on the other plane shot down, I don’t have any information at all, only that it was around the same time that Alfred was shot down.

Hope you can help.

Regards

John