View Single Post
Old 30th October 2008, 09:05

Bernard is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe losses. Rhubarb 22/07/1941.

Now july !

On the 22nd of july 1941, on a Rhubarb operation, No.308 Squadron claimed 2 Bf109s destroyed on the ground and 1 Bf109 destroyed in the air:

AIR/50/120.p 10.Date: 22/7/71.Squadron: 308 ( Polish ).No. Of E/A: 20.Type of E/A: Me. 109.Time of attack: 1330 1550 ?Place of attack: St Omer / Guines.Height of E/A: 20/200 ft.Enemy casualties: 2 Me. 109' s destroyed on the ground.1 Me. 109 destroyed in the air.Our casualties: nil.GENERAL REPORT:Near Guines we attacked an aerodrome. I fired at ground defences posts and hangars, after passing the hangars I saw 2 Me. 109' s hidden among the trees - I fired at them with my cannon,saw pieces flying from them, and as I passed over them I saw they were both in flames. As wecrossed the Coast I heard P/O Bozek asking for Air/Sea Rescue - I turned back, and saw 3 Me.'sattacking one Spitfire with letter " E " ( P/O Kremski ). One of them was diving on the Spitfire fromastern, as I approached on the starboard of the Spitfire, the E/A banked over to the left and startedto climb away presenting me with a perfect plan view at the range of 100 yds. I gave him a shortburst from all my guns - I saw thick smoke come from the engine - I turned and lost sight of himfor a moment, and on completing my turn saw the Me. With clouds of black smoke pouring from itplunge in the Channel.F/Lt Janus ( Polish ).

Any details concerning these German losses?

Many thanks.

Bernard.