View Single Post
Old 24th February 2017, 22:23
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road
Re: B-24 lost on May 18, 1944?

As for the MACR database, the country listed is probably the one appearing in the first page of the MACR, and if the aircraft is just listed as missing, it could the target's one, or the start's place. In your case, 42-64347, I guess there is nothing in the MACR first page about the loss location, just where it took off from.

Accessing the full MACR (that is possible on the not-free website fold3 for example) will help finding crash locations from survivor/POW reports or Axis reports, but I have never done such a search in Balkans. In NW Europe, every crash was in German controlled area, so if a crash report exists it is included in the MACR. I have no idea how much this applies to Bulgaria and other countries allied to Germany in SE Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodor View Post
Also, why there's nothing on the rudder, not a number, sign or letter, not even the serial number?
Back to your original question, I wonder if the tail's "skin" had not been pulled down. You can see something under the tail with people around. This would explain why no more number are visible there.