View Single Post
Old 1st April 2011, 01:29

Mark R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Captured Italian AF Records at US National Archives

Well, if I figured out how I could have edited this, then I would not have replied to myself. To answer my own question, as the microfilms have arrived, Roll 191 has daily Superaereo daily reports from MARCH 1942 through the end of the Tunisia campaign. While they do not mention every pilot lost by name, some are named. Most aircraft losses are mentioned. This seems to be the source used by Shores et al for Fighters over Tunisia as a quick check showed that FOT's narrative for 12 November 1942 did not differ significantly from the Superaereo entry - one major variation being the second SM-79 pilot shot down that afternoon by flak is named in the primary sources and not the book. Rolls 193 and 194 consist of daily log entries for Luftwaffe operations - probably by an Italian liaison officer. Each Luftwaffe mission is listed in detail with regard to times flown, number of aircraft, flight route, and sometimes they also add losses/claims. No Unit IDs on any of the three rolls I obtained.

Roll 191 also has many details on Italian air transport operations during the Tunisian campaign (equipment and personnel ferried to and from).

- A second day poring through microfilm reveals the reports are separated by commands - there are reports for Yugoslavia, Sicily, Sardinia, and Tunisia. Some commands submit more detailed (Yugoslavia and Sicily) than others (Tunisia). The reports from the pre-TORCH African phase of operations are pretty detailed too. The Italian liaison for X Fliegerkorps and Luftwaffe command in Afrika are also informative, if a little vague on unit designations.

Hope this is of interest to some researcher.

Last edited by Mark R.; 1st April 2011 at 23:49.