View Single Post
Old 19th January 2012, 14:49

Julian is on a distinguished road
Georg Schneider 3/JG21 StaffelKapitan

Hello everyone once again I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me concerning research for a chapter of a soon to be published book.

"On June 27, 1940 No.82 Squadron took part in a mission to bomb targets in Germany. Around 16.15 hours their aircraft appeared over Soesterberg airfield. Immediately, the fighters of No.3 staffel/Jagdgeschwader 21 took off to intercept the intruders. During the ensuing dogfight 26-year old Oberleutnant Georg Schneider shot down Blenheim R3731. It was his seventh and final victory. In the meantime, Sergeant Andrew Clark the gunner on board Blenheim R3731 fired at one of the opponents, bringing down the aircraft of Oberleutnant Schneider. The German fighter crashed near Zeist killing Schneider who was buried the next day with military honours at the Grebbeberg. He now rests in the German war cemetery in Ysselsteyn, Limburg.
I would very much like to hear from anyone who might be in contact with relatives of Georg Schneider. Or indeed anyone who can shed some more light on this individual, perhaps who has photographs of him or the specific Me 109 he flew for this comabt. I do apologise I dont have code or WNr as yet as I have only just started this research work.
Many thanks Julian