View Single Post
Old 15th April 2019, 17:54
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Book Review: Robert Forsyth: Heinkel Units of World War 2 (published Osprey, July 2018)

After working as an editor for over 30 years (fiction), I understand the constraints involved in writing non-fiction. Even fiction requires quality sources to provide a believable background. In any case, why wait? As I used to joke (a mistake, I now realize), no one is waiting for your book. If it takes a few years then so be it. I know of few authors who just sit down and produce a book in a few months. Research happens first, followed by presenting the information in an interesting way. I have read some non-fiction books where the writing was very poor, but I have kept them for the value of their technical information. Good reviews are helpful. I also want to stress the value of getting the word out once a book is ready to go to print. If this enterprise is going to continue, the outside world will need to know what is going on. And a bit more than title, page count, photos and maps. Long before the internet, everyone I know had to decide on 'why should I spend my money'? Why is this book better than others like it? Or what does this book have that is new or unique? The words 'unpublished photos' usually gets my attention. That and the promise of new, well-documented information.