View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:48

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Re: General theme for Hawker Hurricane during Phoney War and BoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
The rudder stripes were only applied, at least initially, to 1 and 72 Squadrons of the Advanced Air Striking Force.
Hi, agree with your comment - the rudder stripes was appied on plane from 1. and 73. SQ (not 72.SQ as you wrote) based on some "blue-on blue" incidents with French Air Force in autumn 1939.

If we agree with this, then there is "heretic question" - is possible, that this plane is Hawker Hurricane Mk. I L1679 from 1.SQ - pilot F/O P.H.M. Richey ?
Based on information from Peter Cornwell book Battel of France Then and Now - page 231, this pilot force-landed at Tournes-Belval (probably French airfield) and this plane was destroyed in bombing May 14.

If we compare this plane with know photo - see this links:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...i/RicheysG.jpg
https://lib.rus.ec/i/55/480355/pic_11.jpg
On these imagines from internet we can compare:
- Watts 2 blade wooden propeller - same
- camo type A,same under surface scheme (black/white/alluminium) - same
- same rudder stripes similar to French tricolore -same
- plane letter G (squadron codes was deleted by both squadrons - 1.Sq and 73.Sq
-same aerial mast and same type of ventral strake and tailwheel

- hexagon marking of rudder (85.Sq) - negative for compare :-(

My question is - do you have more info, how the plane L1679 was loss during bombing MAy 14? Is possible, that this plane was left on French airfield and this airfield was bombed during May 14 and then this plane was abandoned by French and plane was captured by German?

Or is this just "another lost Hawker hurricane durig Battele of France without information.....

Faenor

PS - over next days, I will share with you more similar photos questions based on photo from e-bay :-)